Sunday, February 2, 2014

Review: Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation & Stay Matte Primer


Welcome to another review here on Amaryllis Living. Does anyone find these helpful? Leave a comment below and let us know. We'd love the feedback!

Today, I'm bringing you a review on the new Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation and Stay Matte Primer. These are two very unique items from the drugstore because it's not everyday that you get to see completely matte products there. Of course I had to pick these up because not only did this intrigue me but Walgreens had a dollar off coupon for any of the stay matte products. So, I obviously had to take advantage. 

So let's get on with the review!



Let's first talk about the Rimmel Stay Matte Primer since that is usually something that I put on my face first. 

Claims: Skin-perfecting primer can be worn alone, under makeup or on top to create a perfect matte complexion. Controls shine up to 8 hours. Ultra lightweight formula minimizes the appearance of pores.


Here's what the primer looks like swatched. 

I want to go into packaging first because that is the first thing that draws a buyer to a product. Aesthetically, I absolutely love the colors and the way it looks. Both the primer and foundation have similar packaging using white and purple as the main colors. The font is cute and I love the detailing of the crown on it. I love how the packaging looks matte, if you know what I mean and it even feels matte...if that makes sense. If you feel the tube itself, it just feels smooth like what I believe matte feels like. I know it's weird but I adore the way Rimmel designed this. They both are in a squeeze tube which I like a lot because I find it's easier for me to control how much product I want and it's more hygienic than a simple bottle. This primer comes with 1 fl oz or 30 ml. And, it's also small in size so it's easy to store and travel with. Honestly, I was sucked in by the packaging. I hadn't really heard much about these two products so when I saw these at Walgreens, I just couldn't resist.

So now let's talk exclusively about the primer. The primer itself comes out white and actually looks and feels a bit thick. It has a slight chemical scent to it but nothing overbearing at all. You won't even notice it on your face. The first time that I applied this primer on my face I noticed that it takes time to apply and really blend into the face. I think because it doesn't have that smooth feel like some silicone based primers, it is harder to blend. So consistency and texture wise it's an okay for me. 

Once the primer was smoothed onto my face, I looked at the areas where I have very visible pores. It claims to minimize the appearance of pores and I can see that it did that. My pores are not completely gone or anything like that but the are less visible. My face did feel smooth and I was confidant that my foundation would apply on smoothly over it. The foundation did apply on well and the overall appearance of the pair looked good. 

Now the wear throughout the day was a bit of a miss. In the first couple of hours, the primer held up the foundation okay. The primer did not hold up the foundation around my red areas and around my oily areas. I have combination skin, meaning I do have some dry patches and I do have a slightly oily t-zone. This primer claims for 8 hours of a shine free face. Everywhere else around my face I was completely fine but by hour 5 of wear I can see my trouble areas emerging. I could see some redness around my nose and a bit of oil around my t-zone. Other than that it was fine.

Pros: 
  • Love the packaging, hygienic 
  • In a squeeze tube so easier to control how much product you want
  • Not too much silicone in it, so for people who don't like silicone try this product out
  • Small and easy to travel with
  • Very affordable
Cons:
  • Does not last in some areas as it claims
  • Takes time to blend on face
  • Texture is thick and not as lightweight
Overall Thoughts:

This is an okay primer. It does the job upon first application but doesn't help whatever foundation I'm wearing on top to stick therefore it fades throughout the day. This can be seen around my nose. I personally don't like the texture. I like a little bit of silicone because it just helps to apply on easier. I do like the packaging a lot and appreciate the tube. It's very travel friendly. I would suggest this primer to people who don't like silicone based products and besides it's pretty cheap for how much you're getting. Anyways it's definitely not my favorite drugstore primer but try it out, you may like it a lot more than I do.

Grade:


B
Price Range:
$4 - $5

Where To Buy:
I can't find links like I normally do which is odd. Maybe you can only find these in stores. I've seen them mostly in Walgreens and CVS. 



Next up in the stay matte collection is the Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation. I am in the color 300 sand and apparently there are 8 different shades but from what I saw at the Walgreens that I bought this from they only had four colors with sand being the darkest color. Again, the packaging is very similar to the primer so I love it just as much. This product comes with 1 fl oz or 30 ml. 

Claims: Feather-light, liquid mousse blends flawlessly for natural-looking, all day shine control. Silky smooth formula leaves a perfectly matte, baby-soft finish. Lightweight texture won't feel heavy or greasy. 


Here's what the foundation looks like swatched.

The foundation comes out quite thick at first. It actually reminds me of the Garnier BB Cream, where the product comes out quite thick but once it is touched and applied you realize a little goes a long way. Although, the Garnier BB Cream is much lighter in texture while the Stay Matte foundation still maintains its thickness. The first time I tried to apply this I actually squeezed out a bit too much but it looked really little! You would think because of its thickness the foundation wouldn't blend well but surprisingly it does. The application smooth and very easy. But be warned, you will look cakey if you apply on too much. I would not recommend building this up after two layers. 

The color is still a bit light on me, so it's not a perfect match but I worked it in with some bronzer and it was fine. With one layer of the product, it actually concealed all my imperfections. It is very light and smooth on the skin and I didn't feel greasy at all. There was still some redness around my nose but like little zits around my face was surprisingly concealed. This is definitely medium to full coverage but again be careful, it can look very cakey. Anyways as it claims, my face was completely matte at first application. I'm only ever shiny in my t-zone (just a little shine!) so that aspect was great. I didn't look dull at all, which can happen sometimes with matte foundations.

Throughout the day I noticed that the foundation does bleed. Like when I rubbed my nose on accident with my glove you can see the product transfer. Also, the wear was decent. I looked great for about three hours and than I checked myself around hour five of wear. I spotted some redness around my nose and a little bit of shininess around my t-zone. Overall for about four hours it held up well. At the end of the day I can see the foundation just gone in my problem areas. I would say touch up with a powder throughout the day and you should be fine with this. 

Pros:
  • Again, love the packaging (same as the Stay Matte Primer)
  • Very easy to blend
  • Provides a matte finish as promised
  • Doesn't look dull on skin
  • A little goes a long, so it saves more of the product
  • Medium to full coverage
  • Covers up well
  • Travel friendly 
  • Very affordable
Cons:
  • Can get cakey
  • Texture is thick
  • Not superlong lasting
  • Oilness and redness can be seen at around hour five of wear
  • Not a wide range of color selection
  • Color is still a bit light on skin
Overall Thoughts:

I do like this matte foundation because it's not often that you see one in the drugstore. I do like the coverage and the application. I would say this is one of the better matte foundations at the drugstore currently and at such an affordable price. I can see myself using this often so therefore I would recommend you all try it. 

Grade:

A-

Price Range:
$4 - $5


Where To Buy:
I can't find links like I normally do which is odd. Maybe you can only find these in stores. I've seen them mostly in Walgreens and CVS. 

Written By:
Daisy

Thanks so much for reading this VERY LONG review. We hope you like it! Please follow us and leave a comment down below. We'd love to follow and check you guys out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment